Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Little Bedroom Redo

The room across from our master isn't one that is easy to take pictures of because it's so small.  Like 6x9 small.  It's a room we've ignored for years as we haven't needed it.  We need it now, so the same weekend we did the mini-kitchen update, we did this bedroom as well.  When we first moved it, most of the room was taken up by a cedar closet which made the room functionally unusable so we promptly demolished.



Most of the plaster had been taken down and the room lived like this for a very long time.  At one point, we slapped up some hideous paneling to pass a refi inspection.










In the initial renovations four years ago, we demolished a linen closet at the end of the hall in order to capture the space for the bedroom closet.  We build decent sized closets in all three bedrooms.  So, in the picture directly above, you're looking at the back of the old doorway that is now covered in drywall.

My same wonderful friends who installed my kitchen also finished up the demo of the plaster and installed all the drywall to get this room ready.


 I and another friend were in charge of mudding which was a new experience for me.  It's hardly a perfect job, but it's not any worse than the job I paid a bunch of doofy guys to do four years ago.  And I work a lot cheaper.  

 Window moldings were in very rough shape and the sill broken.  I have my wonderful handy woman scheduled to come do that work mid August.  
 This door backs up to the hall bath, so we had to build an access panel to get to the plumbing to the tub.  


Today, I have a handy man coming to build shelves on the left side of this closet to act as a linen closet of sorts. Outside the closet, tT\he doorway will be framed out in shelving units that will be built in to give this small room added storage.



See how the closet bumps back from the doorway.  That's the area that will be filled with shelving that will be trimmed out and painted white.  Maybe a fun color on the back side....

 So, once the mudding was done, it was time to paint.  Some people go out and buy samples or pick up swatches and paste them all over and look at them and mull them over and see them in different times of day and all of that.  Not me, or at least, not always.  Nope, walked into Lowes, picked out three or four colors, decided on one I liked and had them mix me up two cans of flat paint. 
 It's Valspar's Woodlawn Sterling Blue and it doesn't photograph well at all.  It's a lovely blue green grey color, very pale, and changes with the light.  I think it will be great once I get all the trim painted a bright white.  
 The window over the transom will be replaced with glass that I made.  In fact, that's down in the basement with a coat of paint drying on it.  I'll try to remember to take pictures of it tomorrow when I flip it to paint the other side.
 All the doors to the hallway are going black.  The hallway is a deep grey color and the doors look really rich with the white trim.  The inside of the door will by the BM Simply White that goes throughout the house.  I love that crispness against the muted earth tones that I adore.  I'll take pics while the shelves are going in today and try to post a final tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment